Friday, June 17, 2016

Working on the Creek Corner Scene

This week, my work progress has been in regards to the creek area that will be close to the location of the Atlas Rock Company.  I painted the plywood base of the creek bed with black latex paint that I had from a previous project.

Painted Creek Bed
 
Once the paint was dry, I cut out the walls for the canyon from pieces of styrofoam I had on hand.  I also formed the mounded area located across from the wall area with styrofoam as well.  The styrofoam serves as a base for the terrain that will be formed in the area.  I attached the styrofoam pieces with white Elmer's glue.  This glue did not eat through any portion of the styrofoam.

After the glue dried, I used a steak knife to cut the contours of the wall and mound to my desired shape.  The type of styrofoam pieces I had on hand was the bead board type (not ideal for model railroading).  This type makes a huge mess once the cutting and shaping begins.  Fortunately, it does clean up pretty easy with a Shop Vac.

Styrofoam Shapes Glued in Place
The next step was for me to cut strips of Plaster Cloth from Woodland Scenics.  The strips were dipped in water and placed over the styrofoam.  These strips will harden and form a relatively hard shell that still weighs very little.

Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth
 
Plaster Cloth Being Added to the Styrofoam
 
Completion of Plaster Shell
 
I am pleased with the results of this project so far.  I still have a lot of work to do in order to complete the creek scene.  The next portion will consist of me making plaster rocks using Woodland Scenics rock molds and attaching them to the canyon wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment