Thursday, June 2, 2016

Lighting for East Oakdale Section

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was not able to light this layout section with blue rope lighting to achieve the "night lighting" effect.  My solution was to purchase (Ace Hardware) three individual screw-in light bulb type lighting fixtures.  I then had to figure out how to wire them to a switch and route power to them.

As I am no electrician, I turned to YouTube to see how to do this.  I found a fellow model railroader who did a similar electrical project and filmed how he did it.  Basically, this guy used a grounded electrical cord as a basis for his project.  So, I did the same thing.  I bought an electrical cord, a blue plastic electrical box and a standard wall switch.

I cut off the female end plug of the electrical cord which gave me access to the three inner wires.  I connected one wire to one lead of the light fixtures in series and the other wire to the wall switch and then to the second lead of the light fixtures.  I attached the ground wire to a grounding point.  All of the electrical connections were done with a soldering iron and then covered with heat-shrink tubing.  After the connections were made, I plugged in the male plug of the electrical cord into a power surge outlet.  I flipped the switch on and to my delight; the three light fixtures illuminated with blue light.

*** Special Note ***
 
THIS METHOD IS NOT ACCORDING TO THE ELECTRICAL CODE


Switch and Electrical Box

Electrical Box Installed in Frame


Framing for lighting valance and light fixture installation:

Appropriate Size Hole Drilled in Frame for Light Fixture 

Light Fixture Installed in Frame
 
Light Fixture Fits Flush Against Frame
 
Electrical Cord Connections to Light Fixtures:
 
 
Orange Electrical Cord and Wire Leads for Fixtures
 
Electrical Cord Connected to Terminal Block


 


Light switch installed in Fascia:
 
Close-up of Light Switch
 
Switch Next to Control Panel
 
Completed framing of East Oakdale:
 
East Oakdale Section with Night Lighting (Behind Clock)

 



No comments:

Post a Comment