Saturday, June 4, 2016

Stockton & Jamestown Staging Extension

The construction of the framing and the base of the staging yard extension which represents Stockton for SP trains and Jamestown for Sierra trains is compete.  This section of the layout is a part of the larger layout section used to hold the branch to Atlas Rock Company.  As with my other layout sections, I used 1X3 boards to make an open grid that is approximately twelve feet long and eighteen inches wide.  The grid was topped off with 1/2 inch plywood to form a solid base.

Since this area is going to support multiple tracks to represent each city location (Stockton or Jamestown), I did not want to use individual sections of cork roadbed to support each yard track.  Instead, I chose to use larger cork pads to cover the area much more effectively.

I purchased the cork pads from a big box retailer (Target or Walmart).  They are located in the Office Supply section of the store.  The pads come in a package of four and they each measure twelve inches by twelve inches.

 Quartet Cork Tiles
 
Some Cork Tiles Secured to the Layout
 
I used Elmer's wood glue to fasten the cork pads to the plywood base.
 
Glue Spread on the Plywood Base
 
After the pad was in place, I secured them to the plywood with track spikes.
 
Track Spikes Used to Secure the Cork Pads
 
All Cork Pads in Place
 
With the cork pads in place, I could then attach the 1/8 MDF board I used for the fascia panel.
 
Fascia Panel Installed
 
I then painted the fascia the same tan color I used on the rest of the layout.
 
Partially Painted Fascia Panel
 
Completed Fascia Panel

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment