Saturday, April 18, 2015

Painting of Backdrop Begins

The hardboard backdrop was installed on the layout a while ago and I painted it a sky blue color using latex interior paint purchased from a local home improvement store (Lowe's).  After several months of anxiety, I finally attempted to paint a more detailed backdrop.  So far, I have only painted the profile hill board that serves as a scenic view block hiding the Southern Pacific's line toward Merced, California.  I am quite surprised at the results of my effort.



The Distant Hills and Fields Take Shape on the Backdrop

I will be the first to tell you that I am no artist and I have no real experience painting.  However, after reading Painting Backdrops for Your Model Railroad by author Mike Danneman (Kalmbach Publishing), and watching several videos on YouTube regarding the subject, my confidence increased.

I purchased inexpensive acrylic paints (Apple Barrel) in a variety of colors from a local craft store (Michael's).  I then applied some of the techniques I learned and to my surprise, the depth of the distant hills began to take shape.  As the hills continued to take shape, I was encouraged to keep on going.  I know I would have given up if things did not develop like they were supposed to.  Once the hills were painted, I then focused on the foreground fields and orchards.  I even painted basic barns and silos to make the scene more realistic.  The painted scene still is not done, but I know that I really do have the ability to paint a decent looking backdrop that will help my layout look more realistic in the long run.



The Hills Contrasted with the Packing Plant

Overall View of the Scene from a Distance

Northern Pacific Reefer Parked in Sierra Yard
 
A Painted Barn Contrasted with the Reefer
 
 
 

 






 


No comments:

Post a Comment