Saturday, April 18, 2015

Construction of Backdrop and Lighting Valence

One thing that I wanted to add to my Oakdale Junction model railroad layout was an overhead lighting valence.  With the layout now setup in the garage, I had the accessibility to take on this project.  The first thing I needed to do was to figure out how I could support the overhead structure.  Since the layout is free-standing and not against any of the garage walls, I needed to make the bracing strong, but not too heavy that it could come crashing down onto the layout itself.

Lighting Valence Supports & Hardboard Backdrop Being Installed
"L-Shaped" Bracket
I made "L-shaped" support arms using 1x3 dimensional lumber purchased from a local home improvement store (Lowe's).  I took two pieces of lumber and butted them together in the shape of an "L."  Then I attached them with an "L-shaped" metal bracket on both sides and securing them to the wood with tiny screws and nuts, washers and bolts.  When these support arms were done, I affixed them to the back side of the wooden layout support table with long wood screws.  Once all the support brackets were installed, I used 1x3 dimensional lumber to frame the front of the lighting valence.  The next step was to cover the frame with 1/2 inch plywood cut to the shape of the frame.


Close-up of "L-Shaped" Bracket

Upper Framing for the Corner Section of Layout

Plywood in Place Prior to Cutting Final Shape

Backdrop Puttied and Sanded for Painting Sky Blue

Oakdale Side with Backdrop Painted Blue

I mixed up the can of sky blue latex interior paint I had left over from when I painted the hardboard backdrop.  I then painted all of the exposed wood that was apart of the lighting valance.  This step greatly improved the illusion that the railroad is surrounded by sky.  The blue color will also help reflect the light down onto the layout as well.

The finishing touch to my new lighting valence was to install a small hardboard fascia to the front of the frame.  This fascia is similar to the one used to frame the layout support table.  I painted it with the same tan latex interior paint and used the same finishing screws to secure the fascia in place.  I then labeled "Oakdale Junction" using black sticky-back letters purchased at a craft store (Michael's).


Completed Lighting Valence & Partially Painted Backdrop

No comments:

Post a Comment