Saturday, April 18, 2015

Overall Layout Lighting

With the lighting valance constructed, it was time to install the overhead lighting.

 
Portfolio Light Fixture
For daytime lighting effects (sun), I used small under-cabinet lighting units from Portfolio.  I purchased these from a local home improvement store (Lowe's).  They were very easy to install using basic tools and the included hardware.  Each light fixture can be daisy-chained together as well.  This way they can be turned on from one on/off power switch.  However, you can still turn on/off each unit separately if needed.

Daytime Lighting Effect Over Sierra Yard Portion of Layout

For this layout, I was really excited to try overhead nighttime lighting effects (moon and stars).  The layout itself will have various lighting effects like street lights and interior lights for the structures.  However, I wanted to come up with a way for the layout to be lighted from overhead and simulate the glow of the moon and stars from up above.

Blue Rope Light
The solution I came up with was to use strands of blue rope lighting.  I ran three strands of this rope lighting through the rafters of the lighting valence. Once installed, I turned off the lights in the garage and turned on the blue light.  To my delight, I got the effect that I was hoping for.  The blue rope lights gave off a bluish tint that it did appear as if the moon and the stars were shining brightly in the sky high above.  There was also enough ambient light in the garage that operators of the rail road could still function and enjoy running trains.

Blue Rope Light Installed Above the Meat Packing Plant

No comments:

Post a Comment