Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Meat Packing Industry Served by Sierra Railway



I am obviously not modeling Oakdale Junction 100% correctly on my HO scale model railroad. There never was a meat packing plant in Oakdale served by any of the three railroad companies that operated in the city. However, in my version of history, a meat packing industry was established in Oakdale and the plant was served by the Sierra Railroad.

I need to use some modeler's license on my layout to serve my interests in this hobby. I really like the look and operations of handling refrigerator cars and livestock cars in the 1950's. So this is why I added the meat packing industry to my layout. Most of you will realize that I am using the commercially available Walthers Cornerstone kits to model this industry. Without the opportunity to switch the stockyards, ice house and packing plant itself, there would be no switching work to be done on the Sierra Railroad portion of my layout. I now have added operational interest to my layout so that the Sierra Railroad crew has something to do other than switching the interchange track in town.

No comments:

Post a Comment